Pistyll Rhaeadr Waterfall, Moel Sych and Cadair Berwyn. 23-02-2018

Pistyll Rhaeadr, Meol Sych and Cadair Berwyn
23-02-2018

I have been looking at Moel Sych for a few weeks now, I started looking at walks that visited waterfalls, so that the boy would be amused if I ever dragged him along. For some reason Moel Sych has stuck out though, I think its due to seeing pictures from the top, overlooking the lake Llyn Lluncaws.

Anyway today was the day, bag packed, car fuelled up, MET Office checked, no excuses. My alarm went off at 5am, and I was up ready, but no hot water, half an hour playing with the boiler, still no hot water, so I left it for the wife to sort out, and jumped in the car for the 2 hour drive into North Wales. Now although I wasn't running late, I was still a little rushed, and I couldn't remember the name of the place I wanted to park, so quickly I put Moel Sych into the Sat Nav and off I went, planning to stop somewhere nearer and actually look up the name of where I was off to, and reprogram the Sat Nav. 

The M6 was surprisingly busy, as was the M56, but with Chris Evans keeping me company, the journey soon passed and I was off the main roads and into the tight welsh roads, with place names I doubt I could pronounce, let along read on a map, thank god for Sat Navs shouting directions, "Next Left", "At the round about, 2nd exit". The roads seemed to be getting very narrow, and steeper, but the sat nav kept shouting which way to turn, and I followed, until the road disappeared, and I was driving up a farm track, I began to worry a little as it didn't seem a natural way for a Sat Nav to take me, so I stopped and looked at where I was going, then it hit me, it was still taking me to Moel Sych summit, like up the mountain. I put the car in reverse, and slowly made my way backward down the track, but I couldn't see where my back wheels were in relation to the path, so I was nervous of dropping down into a gully or the like, so I stopped, put it into 4 wheel drive, and headed forwards. Its a track, its been used recently (by a tractor), so it must lead somewhere to turn round, so on I went. Luckily I only had to travel 200 yards before I came to a barn on a flat patch of ground, that I could do a three point turn on, and I slowly headed back to civilisation, tail well and truly between legs. 

About half an hour later I pulled up at the Tea Room at the bottom of Pistyll Rhaeadr waterfall. That familiar sound of crashing water filled the air. I jumped out of the car and looked at the time, 8:50am, only 20 minutes later than I had planned, especially after my excursion on the way. A quick look around, and Im the only person in sight, also I spotted a sign saying £3 for parking, and to pay at the tea room. The tea room was closed, so I went for a look at Gistyll Rhaeadr. 




Pistyll Rhaeadr falls over 240ft, and becomes the river Afon Rhaeadr. Its a spectacular sight, and the highest waterfall I have seen, but its not the reason Im in Powys. Its 9.10am, and there is still no sign of anyone, and the tea room is still shut, so I leave a note on the dashboard of my car saying I will pay on my return, put my boots and gaiters on, pack my rucksack (13kg today) and set off up the path marked "Top Falls". Now I knew from planning my route on Ordinance Survey that the beginning of the walk would be the steepest, the first half mile would elevate 800ft, and I felt it. I know Im unfit, and I was carrying a heavy backpack, but that first half mile hurt, literally walking 20-30 meters and having to stop for a few seconds to breath and rest, but with every 20-30 meters I was closing in on the summit.




3 pictures looking back at where I had come from, at varying heights.

Having checked the MET office in the morning, it had forecast Fog until around 11am, at my rate of ascent it should clear before I get there. It was cold, and the wind was bitter and fairly strong, but I could see sunshine in the distance following me up the Mountain. As I made my way over the first small summit, the ground under my feet became crunchy as I had reached a height that hadn't thawed out yet, and I could see snow in the distance on Moel Sych, but fog was obstructing the view of the top.



There was a patch of boggy ground which needed navigating by walking along the fence, but besides that the ground was pretty firm, and I felt the Gaiters were a little over kill. Although this was the first time in about 5 years that I had physically walked on snow deeper than 2 inches. After another ascent I was greeted by the Cairn of Moel Sych. Standing at 827 meters, it is the southern peak of Cadair Berwyn on the main high ridge. It was assumed to be the highest peak in the ridge until Cadair Berwyn was found to be the same height.





The fog hadn't lifted, there were tiny breaks in the cloud where blue skies shone through, but they were few and far between, the wind had also got stronger, and it was only when I was attempting a selfie, that I could see that my moustache and beard were white with frost, where the moisture from my breath had frozen. It was at this point the fog came down really thickly, and visibility dropped to about 15 meters. With the wind and cold, I was seriously considering turning back down the mountain, but being so close to Cadair Berwyn I did want to push on. The biggest issue for me was the path between the 2 peaks ran along side the edge of the ridge, and without seeing the path from where I was, knowing that there where area's of snow and ice on the summit, I really didn't want to chance it, so I considered having a little look before writing it off completely. Fortunately the space between the fence and the ridge is actually quite wide, and I felt safe enough to cross without being anywhere near the edge. Im glad I did, the first thing I saw, I mistakenly thought was the cairn for Cadair Berwyn.










As I said, I mistook that Cairn for Cadair Berwyn, but what that first Cairn marks is Cadair Berwyn New Top, the highest point of the ridge, standing at 830 meters, 3 meters higher than Cadair Berwyn North Top (as its now known) and Moel Sych. Luckily the cloud had started to clear, enough to see the Marker at Cadair Berwyn North Top, so I made my way to that marker.







At this point I had reached my target, my legs were tired, my face frozen, so I decided it was lunch time, so I made my way back to the bigger Cairn, and hid from the wind inside, whilst eating my sandwiches and pouring myself a brew. Insanely I had a very good signal on my mobile, so I updated facebook while I sat there. I say its insane, I was at 830 meters above sea level, I hadn't seen a single soul since I parked the car, but yet I had a strong signal on my phone, but when Im sat in my living room at home, I can't get a signal for love nor money.

After 10 or 15 minutes, I clean up and make my way back towards Moel Sych, the clouds have now lifted considerably, and I can see Llyn Lluncaws, the Lake situated at the foot of Moel Sych.




Im actually looking for a path down into the valley, its on the OS maps as a right of way, but after 10 minutes looking for anything path like, I give up and head back down the way I came. The clouds continuing to clear even more, making me wish I had stayed in the Cairn for a little while longer, buy hey ho, never mind, Ive already started my descent.



I pass a couple on their way up, we stop and chat for a moment, I explain about walking against the fence in the boggy area's so that they don't get wet, they were doing a circular, which ended in a pub, which surprised me, as I hadn't passed a pub on my way in, saying that my way in was an overall mess, thinking back to attempting to drive up Moel Sych.

I arrived back at the car at 1pm, paid for my parking in the tea room, I was going to buy a coffee to take away, but at £2.30, I went back to my flask and had a luke warm tea, with a load of unmelted sugar in the final gulp, and with that final energy burst, I made my way home, pleased with my efforts of the day.



In total its was a 5 mile walk, with a total ascent of just over 2000ft, 



I will be going back hopefully on a clear day. I couldn't appreciate the view today with the low cloud, but I still enjoyed myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skiddaw 7-7-19

Catrigg Force, Stainforth Force, Scaleber Force, Jubilee and Victoria Caves, and the Hoffmann Kiln at Langcliffe 14/01/18